The global availability of Polypropylene is currently limited due to damaged production resources in the supply chain. Because we work with multiple suppliers as a normal business practice, we have numerous options that can be a great (or sometimes superior) substitute. We’re happy to walk you through the possibilities! Call us today to discuss your needs & let us find a material solution for you.
What is Polypropylene?
Polypropylene (PP) is a versatile thermoplastic polymer that is often the chosen material for plastic extrusions due to its low cost, heat resistance, flexibility, customizability and strength. Available as a natural colored, colorable compound.
PP (Polypropylene) #5 is a widely used polyolefin, resistant to cracking, acids and organic solvents, with good dielectric properties.
- Increased toughness over Polyethylene (PE) #4
- Max temperature: 180 - 240 °F (PP #5 doesn’t melt until about 320 °F.)
- Offers excellent electrical and heat resistance
The two main grades of polypropylene used for plastic extrusions are homo-polymer and co-polymer. Polypropylene co-polymers are slightly softer than homo-polymers, but still tend to be more durable. Fillers boost stiffness to be competitive with other polymeric materials, extending use and versatility.
- Homo-polymer — strong stiff plastic that can be welded and offers excellent fatigue resistance
- Co-polymer — tends to be more durable offering better impact and stress resistance (more suitable for uses at lower temperatures)
Advantages of Polypropylene
- Low Cost of Extrusion (relatively inexpensive material)
- High Flexural Strength (due to its semi-crystalline nature)
- Low Coefficient of Thermal Expansion
Common uses include luggage, microwavable food containers, cutting boards, window components, fodder systems and medical applications.
|PROPERTY||TYPICAL VALUE||UNITS||ASTM METHOD|
|Rockwell Hardness||80||R scale||D-785|
|Melt Flow Rate (230°C, 2.16 kg)||0.45||g/10 min||D-1238|
|Flexural Modulus||162,000||psi||D-790 A|
|Tensile Strength @ Yield||4,060||psi||D-638|
|Tensile Elongation @ Yield||11||%||D-638|
|Notched Izod Impact @ 23°C||No break||ft-lb/in||D-256|
|Heat Deflection Temp: 0.125 @ 66 psi||190||°F||D-648|
|Heat Deflection Temp: 0.125 @ 264 psi||124||°F||D-648|
|Coefficient of Linear Thermal Expansion||6.6 x 10^-5||in/in/°F||D-696|
|Flame Rating - UL at 0.0394"||HB||UL94|
The information provided above is based on typical values, and is believed to be reliable. No warranty is given as to the suitability of the product for a particular application. Determination of the suitability of this product for any use is solely the responsibility of the user.