Design engineering is the first and most crucial aspect of a custom plastic extrusion. 85% of a product’s cost is determined by design. That’s why Intek Plastics has an expert design engineering staff ready to work with you.
We start by gaining a deep understanding of your needs. Armed with that information, an Intek engineer guides you through material selection, highlights critical design considerations and helps develop the most cost-effective solution. This hands-on, knowledge-driven approach keeps your product and business a step ahead of the competition.
Maybe you are wanting to change your aluminum extruded part into a plastic replacement part, or maybe you just want to understand how a plastic extruded profile can help fill your design needs. Either way you should understand what you can and should expect from your extrusion supplier.
Plastic Extrusion Design Engineering Process
At Intek Plastics we have helped hundreds of customers who were unfamiliar with the development of an extruded plastic profile reach a successful conclusion. From our initial consultations with our sales team and project engineers through cutting dies and providing finished samples we help you along the way until you are satisfied with the results.
- Initial sales consultations – we begin by discussing your application, performance needs and design aesthetics to better understand the requirement you need to meet.
- Project engineering reviews – our skilled engineers will review the design and suggest improvements and cost reductions, including tweaks that can make your part more manufacturable.
- Raw material support – Our technical staff can suggest a variety of raw materials to choose from providing pros and cons of each.
- Fabrication recommendations – If needed we can help determine the best path to fabricate additional work into your part including printing, hole cutting and assembly.
- Die building – we can provide options for simple low volume / prototype dies up to complex multi-material co-extrusion tri-extrusion tooling, made in-house.
- Finished part analysis – measurement and testing results along with 200’ of samples sent to you to confirm part we manufacture meet your tolerances, and we’ll not charge a penny more if something needs reworking.
- Production planning – Operational experts can work with your forecasts to implement a process that works best for you.
- Shipping – From basic packaging to extra strength crating or coiling we can provide finished parts to seamlessly fit your production requirements.
- Customer support – Our team of customer service experts will assist with purchase orders, shipping notification and invoicing whenever necessary.