The global availability of some raw materials is currently limited due to damaged production resources in the supply chain. Because we work with multiple suppliers as a normal business practice, we have numerous options that can be a great (or sometimes superior) substitute. We’re happy to walk you through the possibilities! Call us today to discuss your needs & let us find a material solution for you.
Materials Used for Plastic Extrusions
Intek Plastics proudly works closely with industry-leading material manufacturers and has extensive experience extruding more than 30 different thermoplastic polymer compounds, including ABS (Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene), Acrylic, CPVC (Chlorinated Polyvinyl Chloride), Flexible PVC (Polyvinyl Chloride), Mineral Filled Polypropylene, Polycarbonate, Polyethylene, Polypropylene, PVC (Polyvinyl Chloride), Rigid PVC (Polyvinyl Chloride), Styrene, TPA (Thermoplastic Alloy), and TPV (Thermoplastic Vulcanizate).
We’re always testing new or improved materials to be able to offer you a wider selection of material choices. Not sure what’s best for your application? Contact us or download our Material Selection Guide.
Plastic Extrusion & Custom Profile Materials
Intek Plastics specializes in designing, manufacturing, assembling and delivering a wide variety of customized plastic extrusions that allow your product to reach its full potential.
We provide a broad selection of over 30 different grades of polymer compounds:
- ABS (Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene) - ABS is a terpolymer made by polymerizing styrene and acrylonitrile in the presence of polybutadiene. The nitrile groups from neighboring chains, being polar, attract each other and bind the chains together, making ABS tougher than pure polystyrene. The styrene gives the plastic a glossy, waterproof surface. Polybutadiene provides toughness even at low temperatures.
- Acrylic - Acrylic provides a good balance of strength, weatherability, and clarity. It’s available as a clear compound, and can be tinted, frosted or diffused to specification. Acrylic has gained widespread because of its amazing light transmission and ability to replace glass.
- CPVC (Chlorinated Polyvinyl Chloride) - CPVC provides a good balance of high temperature performance, stiffness, impact resistance and inherent UL94 flame performance. Available in natural color, and pre-colored grey.
- Flexible PVC (Polyvinyl Chloride) - Flexible PVC provides a good balance of tensile strength, tear resistance, and weatherability. Very popular due to its versatility and low cost. It’s available as a natural or colorable compound with a choice of durometers, biocide, and NSF. PVC is also popular as rigid PVC.
- PVC (Polyvinyl Chloride) - PVC is the third most popular synthetic plastic polymer in the world and is a true workhorse in the extrusion industry. It is widely used for multiple applications in almost every market. PVC comes in two basic forms: rigid (sometimes abbreviated as RPVC) and flexible PVC (FPVC).
- RPVC (Rigid Polyvinyl Chloride) - Rigid PVC, is a material that provides a good balance of stiffness, impact resistance, UV stability, and inherent UL flame performance. It’s most commonly used in construction for pipe and in profile applications such as doors and windows and refrigeration. Rigid PVC is also often used as a replacement for metal and wood in numerous applications and works great with embossing and textures for highly visible parts.
- Mineral Filled Polypropylene - Mineral filled polypropylene provides thermal stability, good low temperature properties and good dimensional stability over a wide temperature range. Available as a natural colored, colorable, UV stabilized compound.
- Polycarbonate - Polycarbonate provides a good balance of stiffness, impact resistance, abrasion resistance, high & low temperature performance, and colorability. Available as a natural colored, colorable compound.
- Polyethylene - Polyethylene provides a good balance of strength, low temperature performance, and colorability. Available as a natural colored, colorable compound.
- Polypropylene - Polypropylene copolymer provides a good balance of strength, impact resistance, low temperature performance, and colorability. Available as a natural colored, colorable compound.
- Styrene - Styrene provides a good balance of strength, stiffness, toughness, and colorability. Available as a natural colored, colorable compound.
- TPA (Thermoplastic Alloy) - Thermoplastic Alloy is a very low durometer compound, suitable for use in applications such as weatherstrips, gaskets, etc. The compound exhibits very good compression set, elongation and low temperature properties. Available as a natural colored, colorable, UV stabilized compound.
- TPV (Thermoplastic Vulcanizate) - TPV provides a good balance of tensile strength, tear resistance, low temperature flexibility, and weatherability. Available as a natural colored, colorable compound.
Plastic Extrusion & Profile Applications
Our experts at Intek Plastics specialize in custom extruded plastic profiles that are essential in creating a wide range of products that serve industries and applications such as: